There is a growing number of psychiatrists, mental health workers and social workers, who believe that 19th Century psychiatry and its harmful drugs, electroshock treatment, and psychosurgery must go. Many new recruits to the profession are now promoting alternative workable solutions for the treatment of mentally troubled individuals. Psychiatrists and psychologists from around the world are uniting to abolish psychiatric labels that stigmatise patients and are promoting safe and cost effective solutions for treating underlying physical causes. These psychiatrists, psychologists, and mental health workers rally together to form anti-psychiatry groups where they campaign for "no more psychiatric labels" and for real alternative and workable treatments.
CCHR South Africa is committed to:
- Supporting psychiatrists who uphold the Hippocratic Oath to Do No Harm.
- Helping psychiatrists and mental health professionals who seek out and treat underlying causes of mental problems, rather than simply subduing symptoms, prescribing drugs, or using other harmful and invasive treatments.
- Working with psychiatrists who wish to promote and research real workable solutions that effectively "cure" their patients.
- Helping psychiatrists who wish to report abuses and crimes of their colleagues that cause distress, harm or death to their patients.
- Exposing harmful treatments that provide no cures for mentally troubled individuals.